[Mapserver-dev] Additional Map Keywords

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 24 00:56:02 EST 2004

Folks,

I would like to add a few additional keywords to the map file for controlling
configuration information at runtime without environment variables.  In
particular, I have in mind:

PROJ_LIB "<directory with PROJ.4 support files>"
CPL_CONFIG_OPTION "name" "value"

The PROJ_LIB is pretty much self explanatory.  The CPL_CONFIG_OPTION can be
used to control various things in GDAL and OGR.  For instance, setting the
GDAL_DATA CPL_CONFIG_OPTION would set the directory for GDAL to look in for
supporting data files (such as pcs.csv).  Some OGR drivers have behaviour
modified by CPL_CONFIG_OPTIONS, some GDAL issues like caching memory can
be controlled this way, and some GDAL drivers (such as DODS) can also be
influenced by configuration options.

My thinking is that these would be global options (in the mapObj), as they
can't easily be restricted to invidual layers due to the way they work
internally.

If we are really lucky this will forstall some of the requests for new
versions of mapserver compiled with different PROJ_LIB values, or questions
about how to set environment variables in different environments.

Any ideas of other similar config options we should offer?  Does the general
approach seem OK?