[Mapserver-dev] Additional Map Keywords

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 24 11:12:07 EST 2004

Jan Hartmann wrote:

> Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
>

>>  Could this mecanism be used to control some of the MAX_XXX (like
>> maximum number of layers) used in Mapserver ? I think  if it does It
>> could really be benefical to several perople.
>>

> I second that. There have been lots of requests for that, and AFAICS it
> is not hard to implement. See e.g.:
>
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0209/msg00134.html
> (my own suggestion)
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0209/msg00144.html
> (Steve Lime's answer)
> http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2003-March/000217.html
> (Attila Csipa's suggestion)

Folks,

Currently the "MAX_XXX" values in questions are embedded at compile time.  To
make them dynamic at runtime would require some non-trivial changes to the
code.  Furthermore, because the values are used in parsing the map file it might
be too late to set them in the map file.  Furthermore, I think these arrays
should just be made dynamic at runtime so there is no "MAX" value.  If the
current max is exceeded, just double the array size and continue.  This takes
the issue away so the user doesn't need to worry about it at all.

That said, this would require some work in the code, and I am not prepared to
do it at this time.