[Mapserver-dev] Re: time support

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Jan 15 13:21:33 EST 2004

Dave,

    Conceptually, the layer describing the individual tiles would be more
for specifying the rendering of the elements (colors, fonts, etc for
vectors, not very useful for raster), while the layer describing the tile
index would be for filtering/querying (both spatial and attribute, e.g.
time).  But you could use the full power of all the layer options if you
liked (more filtering on the individual elements, etc).

    As you point out, a query (spatial at least) would have to be performed
on the tile index layer, then for each record returned from the index, the
location of the tile would be used in processing the tile layer (this is
done in the current version anyways).

  Steve Lime had mentioned in a previous post that it would be no small
effort to add this layer-pointing-to-a-layer feature, and he is right.  We
would have to look at the effect this would have on the various objects and
attributes of a layer.  For example, what if the projection object of the
tile index layer was specified differently from the tile layer? (BTW Steve,
I've got code (not checked-in!) for that).

    There are benefits though....

Brent