[Mapserver-dev] Re: Rendering engine enhancements

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jul 12 11:26:33 EDT 2004

Frank had talked about creating a special symbol type called 'hatch'
and
dealing with it that way. It would be analogous to TYPE PIXMAP. Bigger
problem is getting the angle from the database, not hard just impacts a
lot
of time. I can think about time estimates once I'm back from vacation
next week.

Steve

BTW I am working on the GEOS stuff. Haven't committed anything to 4.3
yet but hopefully soon.

Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Hi,
> we still badly need hatching in polygons with an inclination. We
> discussed this at the UM in Ottawa. Could someone please tell us
where
> to start in the code, we might be able to do it ourselves. Else:
could
> somebody just get this done and tell me what it will cost us?
> It has to be possible to get the inclination (in degree) from a
database
> and use it as an angle for hatching (most flexible soultion would be
> rotatable fill symbol, but also if you come up with something weirdo
- I
> don't care, we just need it soon.
>
> Don't even start to think about projections - I did and it doesn't
make
> a lot of sense...
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.

Hi Arnulf,

I'm not sure if this will work, but couldn't you use PostGIS with the
GEOS topological operators? Just create a layer with parallel lines
over
the whole extent, and overlay this with your data layer, so as to cut
off everything outside the polygons of interest.

I got this idea from something Steve Lime said at MUM2: adding the GEOS

topological library to MapServer, with the explicit purpose of enabling

this sort of cartographic functionality. This is a nice idea, for it
would greatly expand MapServer's cartographic capabilities for all
kinds
of symbolizing. If you get something done along these lines with
PosTGIS, please let us know. And if it works under PostGIS, but you are

not able to use PostGIS in a production environment, perhaps some
funding could be found to implement in in MapServer. Enhancing
cartographic symbology this way would be interesting, both for
developers and for paying end users. Having it implemented as a Proof
of
Concept under PostGIS would definitely make it easier to get such
funding.

Jan