[Mapserver-dev] Changing Colors in Map !!

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 23 09:11:05 EDT 2004

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Sorry, I did not mean to imply explicit loading of the color raster
> entries, only that they would get loaded last by default process that
> happens when rasters get loaded. While this would work for many of us, I
> think there may be some raster guys the would like more control that
> this, but I'll let them speak up if they care.
>
> I have had the colors on my bitmap symbols change which for me are
> things like the Interstate highway badge where the Blue field turn gray.
>
> Since I suspect that we can never make all the people happy all the time
> and we are talking about a compromise, another idea would be to have a
> color table object that would allow you to define the color table
> entries and a tool that scans the mapfile and prints out a table that
> you can edit and include in the mapfile. While this would be a pain, it
> would give you full control of the colors if you needed it. Or maybe
> support the automate color table generation unless there is a table
> defined, then load the table first and scan the mapfile to pick up
> additional entries not already defined in the pre loaded table.

Steve,

The more I think about it, the harder I think it would be to make
the pre-scanning work ideally.  In a complex mapfile you might have alot
of layers that are technically on but don't intersect the map area, or
that have alot of classes that don't appear in a given render.  Prescanning
could result in alot of colors being allocated but not used.

I think the ability to declare some colors that you absolute want to be
allocated is a minimum we could do to at least make it practical for
folks to see certain colors they want to see.