[Mapserver-dev] Scale-Dependent Renderers

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Jul 29 19:37:50 EDT 2004

We recently received a large ArcIMS AXL file, to do a test conversion
to Mapserver, and one of the things the struck was that AXL has support
for scale dependent renderers.
I was struck again by the utility of the concept today, as I wrote four
scale dependent layers to represent the same data table at four
different resolutions.  Often, we want to render the same things
differently at different scales, and forcing the choice at the layer
level gets very verbose, very fast.

An example would be rendering roads data. At a certain level of zooming
in, I want to start rendering features somewhat wider than I would at
full zoom out level.

      Paul Ramsey
      Refractions Research
      Email: pramsey at refractions.net