[Mapserver-dev] content-sensitive legends

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 15 19:07:58 EDT 2004

I don't think this is really hard, at least when you view it in the one
and done context. Simply setting a flag in msShapeDraw at the class
level would get the info necessary. I wouldn't imagine that tweaking the
legend code would be that bad either. Hard parts are managing the flag
in a case when users make maps over and over, and figuring out if this
should be the default behavior or tunable. The legendObj would be the
easy place to add a new property. Filing as a bug is the place to
start...

Steve

>>> "Chris G. Nicholas" <cgn at globexplorer.com> 06/15/04 11:12 AM >>>
Has anyone ever sized up the level of effort to make legends,
specifically classes with a *bunch* of expressions, to only draw those
items in the legend that actually appear within the mapextent?

I can imagine a flag in each of the "candidate" legend items, that,
during a mapdraw, would get set if it were actually traversed, but I am
sure there is a *lot* more to it than that...

Anyway, this is of considerable interest, since some of the layers we
are playing with have an innocent-looking column called "feature type",
and although only a handful are ever drawn in a single map, there are a
great number of them.

thanks in advance -

Chris