[Mapserver-dev] Nightly CVS Windows Python MapScript Binaries

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Sun Jun 27 13:32:31 EDT 2004

List,

With the help of Sean, Norman, and #mapserver on irc.freenode.net, I have
put together a MSVC nightly build system for Python MapScript.  The build
includes just about every feature available to MapServer windows,
including: WMS/WFS servers/clients, almost all of the GDAL and OGR formats,
SWF, PDF, and GD image outputs.

The build comes in four flavors -- full (SDE and Oracle Spatial), SDE,
Oracle, and None (neither SDE or Oracle Spatial).  An installer is provided
for each using Python's distutils executable installer.  Also provided are
the cvs, mapserver, mapscript, and unittests logs of each build.  The build
happens each night at 3:00 AM CST.  A cvs update is made, and the four
builds are built.  I started the process Friday, and it appears to have
worked fine over the weekend.

I felt it was important to have the freshest, batteries-included, Python
MapScript available for Windows users.  I think this is the one of the
easiest ways to get a MapScript developer going with minimal installation
effort.  I expect that Sean and I will build on this and provide
documentation on how to create your own WMS server similar to what was done
in Sean's A Big SWIG of MapScript session at MUM2 and how to cascade that
WMS into Sean's PyIMS Facade for use in the Arc world.

This build system also gives us the ability to see the effect of our cvs
changes on a build external to our own working sandboxes.  If the build is
broken because of a forgotten cvs commit or cvs add, we'll now be able to
easily see it.  We will also be able to easily see the effect of changes on
the test framework, and hopefully, this will lead to more tests being
developed.

http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver/build_output

Howard