[Mapserver-dev] Rotated Map Rendering

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu May 20 11:51:41 EDT 2004

Steve Lime wrote:

> Based on your alternatives it seems like 2 mirrors the current meaning
> of an extent. You get that area plus a bit more. This was going to be an
> issue regardless of how you define your AOI. What was your original
> plan?

The drawback of #2 is that it is not possible to predict the actual
scale of the map without complicated calculations, and I fear that some
apps would be broken by this additional adjustment of extents that would
be done to accomodate the rotation.

OTOH, if we went with #1, an app could continue to work with the
"extents before rotation" and completely ignore the fact that there is a
rotation, as long as it calls the pixel2georef()/georef2pix() functions
when it deals with user inputs.

> I thought that to deal with the non-square pixel issue in the future
> we'd probably have to set a flag that would alter the meaning of extent,
> that is, you'd get extactly that extent albeit stretched a bit if
> necessary. I'm not sure how that would play out with rotation. Probably
> not that big of an issue since only the OGC WMS/WCS specs would leverage
> that capability very often.

I like the idea of doing this by adding a new parameter (flag) to tell
MapServer that the extents shouldn't be adjusted to the width/height
aspect ratio. Maybe something like "FORCEEXTENTS TRUE/FALSE" with a
default to FALSE that maintains the current behavior? (I'm sure we can
find a better nanme for the keyword)

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca