4.4.0-beta3 tonight

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Nov 15 09:18:42 EST 2004

Hi,

According to our release schedule, we should be releasing 4.4.0-beta3
today. Unless anyone asks for an extension, I am planning to release
4.4.0-beta3 at the end of the day today (after 5pm EST).

BTW, the initial plan was that beta3 would be the last beta before the
final release. However I notice that there are still some non-trivial
bug fixes being worked on (I am to blame for some of that), and even
discussions of potential additions such as the raster SDE stuff. To make
sure that the release won't be delayed by last minute bugs introduced
into the system, I would like to propose the following:

- We should try to get all non-trivial bug fixes in CVS before beta3 (if
that means delaying beta3 by 1-2 days then let me know)

- After beta3, the code should be considered frozen, that means only
critical/trivial fixes should be made just like in a stable release.
Minor feature fixes/enhancements should be pushed post-4.4.

- I'd like to propose that we release beta4 (or RC1) on Monday Nov 22nd,
followed by a formal release as planned on Nov 29th.

- With respect to SDE raster support, I think it's too late unless
someone can get that into the source before beta3 (i.e. today) and is
ready to vouch for the stability of the code and take the heat if it
breaks something else. I realize that this is a very interesting
addition, but let's keep in mind that technically the feature freeze was
one month ago and this is clearly a new feature.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca