[Mapserver-dev] Re: mapsde.c

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Oct 18 20:36:20 EDT 2004

The strangest aspect of this so far is that there is a non-trivial cost
to *closing* a stream. I cannot help but think that is a clue to what
we are doing wrong.  The fact that ArcIMS is beating our performance
against SDE indicates to me that somewhere there is something we are
doing wrong in our SDE handling.  Now that connection pooling is in, I
think we are starting from the same infrastructural start line as
ArcIMS, so why are we still carrying so much overhead on our setup and
takedown?

On 18-Oct-04, at 5:34 PM, Howard Butler wrote:

> [...]
> extra trips to the db to find out version information, and the cleanup
> was costing a bit extra as well.
>
> Brock and I will continue to work on the changes tomorrow, and if they
> seem to be behaving, we'll check them in.
>
> SE_DEFAULT_STATE_ID is a *special* state_id that I've only seen come
> up if the SDE server *doesn't* support versioned queries (like SDE for
> Coverages, for example).  It is not related to the version
> SDE.DEFAULT, even though their names are scarily similar.
> SDE.DEFAULT's state_id will move around as the users make and post
> their edits to the database (hence the query for the info struct, even
> though SDE.DEFAULT wasn't explicitly specified).  The changes that
> Brock and I made mean that if no version was specified, nothing is
> done with respect to versions and no default version is assumed.
>
> Howard
>

> At 07:03 PM 10/18/2004, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> I have a suspicion that some of the version handling code might be
>> making us slower than we need to be.
>>
>> In particular, here we check for a version, and use SDE.DEFAULT if
>> there is not one provided, then we go and do SE_version_get_info()
>> which will later provide us with a state_id. But, if our version is
>> SDE.DEFAULT, isn't our state_id == SE_DEFAULT_STATE_ID. So we don't
>> need to do the version_get_info(), and we also do not need to do the
>> tests for SE_stateinfo_is_open(), or the SE_stream_set_state() and
>> all the stuff preceding it.
>>
>> These are questions, not statements, I could be completely wrong in
>> my interpretation.
>>
>>   if (numparams < 3){
>>     // User didn't specify a version, we'll use SDE.DEFAULT
>>     if (layer->debug)
>>       msDebug("msSDELayerOpen(): Layer %s did not have a"
>>               "specified version.  Using SDE.DEFAULT.\n",
>> layer->name);
>>       status = SE_version_get_info(sde->connection, "SDE.DEFAULT",
>> version);
>>   }
>>   else {
>>     if (layer->debug)
>>       msDebug("msSDELayerOpen(): Layer %s specified version %s.\n",
>>               layer->name,
>>               params[2]);
>>     status = SE_version_get_info(sde->connection, params[2], version);
>>   }
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Brock Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> Now that FastCGI and the SDE connection pooling code seem to work,
>>> I've had a chance to do some performance tests on the new and
>>> improved MapServer. Some early results show that Mapserver is about
>>> 1-2 seconds faster per getMap request than it was with regular CGI,
>>> but it is still much slower than ArcIMS for simple getMap requests. I
>>> was testing with a map that had three fairly simple layers; ArcIMS
>>> returns in ~800ms, MapServer in about 1600ms.
>>> It looks like msSDELayerOpen() and msSDELayerClose() account for much
>>> of that difference. I added some debugging statements to the code,
>>> SE_layer_get_info() takes ~100ms