[Mapserver-dev] IMPORTANT - host site for mapserver-dev to change

Thomas E Burk teb at mallit.fr.umn.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:22:15 EDT 2004

>From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan at intevation.de>
>To: mapserver-dev at lists.gis.umn.edu
>Subject: Re: [Mapserver-dev] IMPORTANT - host site for mapserver-dev to
change
>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:36:09 +0200
>
>On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:25:12PM -0500, Thomas E Burk wrote:
>> You will soon need to resubscribe to this mailing list to continue your
>> participation.
>
>Why don't you mass-subscribe those who are already on this list?

That causes problems due to improperly configured e-mail systems on the
users end. We want to have the subscribe/confirm reimplemented so the list
operates smoothly.

>> On October 31, 2004 at 22:00 (10:00PM) U.S. Central Daylight time (GMT
-5:00)
>> we will close down the existing mapserver-dev (at lists.gis.umn.edu)
e-mail
>> list. If you wish to continue participating on the list you will need
>> resubscribe. You can do that _after October 31, 2004_ by going to
>> <http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mapserver-dev.html>. At that time there
will be
>> a link to 'Join or leave the list' where you can fill out a form.
>>
>> The new list will be run by a group which offers listserv capability as
part
>> of their mission. It should be a positive change.
>>
>> One major change we are making is to restrict access to the archives;
the new
>> archives will only be accessible to subscribers via a login. The first
time
>> you use the archives (search or browse) you will be asked to setup a
password.
>> You must use the same login e-mail that you subscribed to the list with
--
>> only list members can view or search the archives. The is a 'no mail'
wish
>> to use the archive). Initially the old (which will still be available)
and new
>> archives WILL NOT be a single archive. That will change (as will
access).

>I regard this a very bad idea. Search engines will not be able anymore
>to deliver results for the mapserver archives.
>
>What is the rationale behind resticting the access to the mailing list
>knowledge base? IMHO it would be a hurdle for the new users.

We have had many (vocal) complaints in the past that this exposes e-mail
addresses to harvesters. Unfortuantely, the listserv software being used
does not provide for global hiding of addresses in the archive it creates.
There is a plan to create a separate archive, stripped of (or with
modification of) addresses, that is searchable by anyone, anywhere. That
is the change referred to in the earlier message.

If a majority of (mapserver-dev) listers want the archives open, they can
be made so. That may be reasonable for this lower volume list. If I hear
that, when I send out the second and final notice (Oct 27) of the move I
will warn people that change will be made. Probably best to let me know
opinions on this single matter off the list - send to tburk at umn.edu

Thanks for the feedback and your understanding,

Tom