[Mapserver-dev] 4.4.0 release progress

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 29 15:05:11 EDT 2004

Hi,

Just a few notes/reminders about the progress of the 4.4.0 release:

- In our release plan, beta2 is scheduled for Monday nov 1st. I know
that beta1 was a bit late and was made public only this Monday, but
several issues have been resolved since beta1 so I would like to get
back on schedule and package beta2 Monday night to be made public on
Tuesday. If you know of reasons why we should wait then please let us
know ASAP.

- HISTORY.TXT: I think that now that we have released the first beta, we
should log all fixes to HISTORY.TXT the way we do it for a stable
release. This is so that beta testers upgrading from one beta to the
next can easily tell what has changed or has been fixed. There have been
about 50 CVS commits since Monday but only 3 comments added to
HISTORY.TXT... all users will thank you for keeping HISTORY.TXT up to date.

- I have created a "What's new in 4.4" page in the Wiki listing the
*major* changes or features added since 4.2. I don't want this page to
list all the details since that's what HISTORY.TXT is for: this page is
more a general overview of the main changes, but if I overlooked any
major item then please let me know or add it to the Wiki:
   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WhatsNew44

- Migration guide: I have created a page in the wiki for a 4.4 Migration
Guide based on the format we had for the 3.6->4.0 migration guide. If
you are aware of 4.2->4.4 migration issues then please document them there:
   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MigrationGuide44

Thanks

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca