[Mapserver-dev] Modularizing mapserver

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Thu Sep 16 11:16:42 EDT 2004

I'm building mapserver on a new platform today and am reminded
that mapserver needs some reorganization of its source.

Currently, every file is lumped under mapserver/ and every file
is a build target that may or may not have an #ifdef bracketing
its code.  Wouldn't it be better to handle conditional compilation
of packages (such as PDF, iamgemap, SWF) in the makefile than in
the source?

Speaking of conditional compilation: some files like mapimagemap.c
and mapmygis.c that are clearly (IMO) non-core code are compiled
whether the user wants them or not.  Would the developers of these
files be willing to work with me to start on a source reorganization?

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies