[Mapserver-dev] Layer Performance Logging

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Sep 20 17:29:14 EDT 2004

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> All,
> I would like to add some of my metering routines into the CVS, as
> msDebug() statements, so that people can get a feel for how long various
> of their layers are taking to render. This could be very helpful for
> people doing tuning of map files and data sources.
> If that is OK, I will do up the changes as a patch and submit here.

I don't see any problem personally as long as you add them in 4.3 only
(not in 4.2), and you use an if (layer->debug) or if (map->debug) to
enable the calls only when the corresponding layer (or the map,
depending on context) has "DEBUG TRUE". Any call to the time functions
should also be inside an if() to avoid creating unnecessary overhead
when debug is not needed. That's what we've been doing in other places
in the code.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca