[Mapserver-dev] FastCGI Implementation / connection pooling

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 23 10:59:15 EDT 2004

Folks,

Refractions and I are not committed to proceeding on the FastCGI
implementation.  The only comment I had was from Sean who was interested
in being able to capture the "stdout" output of various functions such as
the capabilities document generation.  It seems to do what Sean wants well
would require altering lots of calls to pass in some sort of file/function/buffer
handle to redirect the data to.  I don't want to do such an intrusive change,
but I think that my work should make it somewhat easier for Sean if/when
he wants to proceed with his more comprehensive change.

So, be warned, I will start "virtualizing" stdout and stderr reporting
in the next few days as per my earlier discussion and the FastCGI
wiki topic.

I will be concentrating on WMS support initially.

I am looking into overhauling the connection pooling so that connections to
databases (such as SDE) can be cached over the life of the FastCGI process
instead of just the lifespan of a single map render.  I will try to provide
some details on my approach before I commit anything.