[Mapserver-dev] shpxy documentation

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Sep 24 12:06:09 EDT 2004

Steve,

is there any documentation on [shpxy]?  I've looked at the source but
some things are not obvious to me.  Specifically what I am looking for
is information about the following:

ph,pf - part header, part footer - what is a part?  In a multi-ring
polygon, would this be each ring?

I am trying to turn polygons from a query into something to use in
searching a postgis database so I am doing something like:

[shpxy yf=","]

to produce a list of comma separated coords (that are internally space
separated):

x1 y1,x2 y2,x3 y3,

but I always end up with an extra , at the end.  Is it possible to
optionally avoid footers on the last element processed (or optionally
avoid headers on the first one)?

After stripping the trailing comma, I turn this into a string for postgis:

"GeometryFromText( 'POLYGON((<coords>))', -1 )"

 From what I understand above, though, I should be accomodating possible
situations like multi-ring polygons with

[shpxy ph="(" pf=")" yf=","]

which could produce

"GeometryFromText( 'POLYGON((<coords part 1>)(<coords part 2>))', -1 )"

which produces the problem of having the extra commas in nasty to
process places (search for ,) and replace with ) which is expensive).

Comments welcome :)

Paul