[Mapserver-dev] Performance loss between 3.5 and 4.2

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Fri Sep 24 14:21:15 EDT 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 11:10 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>> Until the mapserver project adopts some regularly run performance
>> benchmarks,
>> all evidence that mapserver is slower or faster than it used to be
>> will be
>> only anecdotal.  Anyone interested?
>
> I think we'd be interested, but what do you have in mind exactly?

Nothing concrete, just ideas ...

For starters, could be as simple as running shp2img every night for each
CVS branch using the same test data (or as identical as possible).  One
platform would be enough to start.  Write output to a file that is
published through the web.  Maybe have a chart of performance versus
calendar time with a line for each branch.  So when somebody sees a
drastic dip in performance over a few nights, they can look in CVS to
see what's been committed -- and see that I've been working on brush
caching in mapgd.c (for example).  I don't think we'd necessarily even
need to use a nightly profiler, just time the process as accurately and
consistently as we can.

That takes care of the future performance history.  For the past, we
could travel back in time with CVS snapshots :).

Sean