[Mapserver-dev] Internationalization of MapServer

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Mon Sep 27 11:26:57 EDT 2004

Folks,

I saw that Julien checked in code that closes out bug 858 and implements
encoding support in CVS MapServer.  This is a great feature, but I have a
couple of questions regarding encodings, builds, and their impact.

1.  The encoding support requires the GNU iconv library.  I see that there
is a conditional #ifdef USE_ICONV in mapgd.c to enable encodings.  Will
iconv be optional to use with MapServer?

2.  If iconv is *not* optional, this makes life really interesting.  iconv
support in gd means that both GD and FreeType need to be compiled with
it.  In windows land, most folks use the pre-compiled binaries for both GD
and FreeType that don't normally come with this compiled in.

While iconv support is fairly trivial in unix-like installations, getting
it and the other two required libraries (GD and freetype) compiled together
and working correctly could be a monumental task for someone attempting to
compile a windows build.

Howard