[Mapserver-dev] FastCGI and MapServer 4.4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 27 15:42:28 EDT 2004

Fernando S. wrote:
> Hi,
>    It's very nice.
>    I started to write something for maporaclespatial some weeks ago. I
> liked the fastcgi idea but when do you intend to include this feature in
> the code? In the next version? 4.4 or 4.6?
>    I intend to start write oracle/fastcgi in the next week. But I don't
> know if I can to finish until October. So, what can I follow? Exist any
> step by step or a how to use for fastcgi?
>    Any hints?
>    Sorry my english.

Fernando,

For FastCGI support, I would suggest you review the information at:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FastCGI

You might also want to review my previous posts on the topic.

I will also writeup some information on connection pooling when it is
ready to use.

My excpectation is that the only thing you need to address in your oracle
code is the connection pooling.  The rest should be "free".  I would
encourage you to test it thouroughly of course.  In particular, in a FastCGI
world we all need to be more careful about memory leaks as MapServer will
continue running for an extended period of time.  Even modest per-request
memory leaks may accumulate over time to be substantial.

If we encounter memory leaks that aren't easily fixed I think we might
want to set things up so that MapServer still dies after a period of time
and restarts.  Perhaps 15 minutes so that few requests will have to wait for
a new startup but so that leaks won't have too long to accumulate.

As for a timeline, I FastCGI WMS mode working now in my local build tree.
Whether it goes into 4.3/4.4 or 4.5/4.6 is yet to be determined though I
am pulling for 4.3/4.4 at this point.