[Mapserver-dev] FastCGI and MapServer 4.4

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Mon Sep 27 19:58:12 EDT 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>> I think that we should reserve some time to shake the bugs out after
>> the new connection pooling and make sure that it is ready for use with
>> mapscript before releasing 4.4.
>
> Well, if it's compiled out then that may not be necessary. Compiled
> out means to me that the code is there, but shouldn't be considered
> part of the release: it's only there for those who know what they're
> doing. This is what was done with the WCS code in 4.2: the WCS stuff
> was there, but was not considered part of the release and was disabled
> so that only those who knew what they were doing could try to enable
> it.
>
> How about the following: 4.4 could have connection pooling available
> only for FCGI (and compiled-out by default), and 4.5/4.6 could bring
> enhancements to MapScript to take advantage of connection pooling.
> Unless of course your changes to MapScript would be minimal and could
> be done fairly quickly. I fear that if all this is ported to MapScript
> and all, then it becomes impossible to keep things compiled out in 4.4
> by default.

The mapscript work would be minimal: expose the connection pool as an
object
and a very simple API to hook it up to layers.  I wouldn't indulge in my
special connection sharing needs, just a straight forward adaptation of
Frank's work that we could use in SWIG and PHP mapscripts.  A mapscript
interface would also make it very easy to write many tests.

>> The 4.2.0 release was somewhat broken.  Maybe we could agree if we'd
>> like the 4.4.0 to be more or less bug free, and ask if a longer period
>> between feature freeze and release than last time will help?
>
> 4.0 was broken, but I always felt that 4.2 was a very good release. I
> guess it depends on how you look at it. What do you consider a broken
> release?
>
> I agree that we need some time after the code freeze to address any
> bugs that may be found, but we have to keep in mind that the world
> doesn't stop to turn while we're in the release process, so we can't
> take too long before we release. We have to either branch early and
> constantly make fixes in two branches, or block new developments for a
> while until we consider the software stable enough to branch the
> stable release.
>
> In the case of 4.2, the time between the code freeze (And CVS branch)
> and official release was 5 weeks: beta1 on April 17, followed by beta2
> and beta3, and finally 4.2.0 on May 25th. And the resulting 4.2 wasn't
> bad at all in my opinion. I was hoping that we could do the same for
> 4.4.
>
> Daniel

Sounds good to me.

Sean