OGR/WKT

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 5 15:59:31 EDT 2005

On 8/5/05, Steve Lime <steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
> I've added a few more comments as well talking about:
>
>  - support for both reading AND writing
>  - the addition of a "toString" method to shapeObj's in MapScript
>  - leveraging both OGR and GEOS, with a public WKT API that wraps access to those
>  - adding "-wkt" as a option to the [shpxy ...] tag in MapServer query templates

Steve,

I was still hoping to see the public API entry points that will
go into mapprimitive.c defined explicitly.  I would assume something
like:

   shapeObj *msShapeFromWKT( const char * );

and

   char *msShapeToWKT( shapeObj * );

Is that right?

Also, I think you should be fairly specific in how such a function
works.  For instance, mentioning that it initializes the attribute list
to an empty list and that the index, tileindex, classindex will be
all zero, and text NULL.  I am wondering if there are any effects
to be concerned about from that.

Also, I have assumed in my above proposal that new shapeObj's
would be allocated by the function but that is not actually how
most shapeObj operators work now I think.  Instead most initialize
an existing shapeObj.

> Can we call for a vote at this point?

As chair that is certainly within your perogitive.  In fact, I think any
proposer could do so at any point.

At the risk of being a complete a--hole I will take the opportunity
to vote -1 pending clarification of the public API.

> (Also, where's the resting place for the RFC's. CVS or the website. If CVS, then how
> can the website be automatically updated?)

There seems to be some ambiguity about which is primary and there
is no automatic way to update both.  I would be happy enough to make
the web site primary but to be honest these content management systems
make me nervous.  I can just imagine a harddrive failure resulting the
the material being gone forever and unrecoverable.