Revised 4.8 release plan

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Dec 12 18:15:34 EST 2005

With all the chaos of the last few weeks, we are a bit behind relative
to our original 4.8 release schedule: we should have had our release
candidate last Friday and our final release this Friday.

We may have to delay the release by a few days, but I would rather not
delay it later than Dec 23rd because after that we get into the holidays
and it becomes really hard to get a hold of people. I also know that the
new website team has been working real hard to try to get things ready
in time for our initial planned date, so I would not want to ruin their
efforts.

So I would like to propose the following revised plan:

4.8.0-rc1 on Thursday Dec 15th
4.8.0 final on Thursday Dec 22nd

Are there major outstanding bugs that you were actively working on and
that would prevent us from proceeding with those dates?

Also, Steve is working on a "fuzzy brush" last minute addition that
would allow producing antialiased thick lines and he would like to get
it into this release. I know that this is clearly a new feature and
should not be allowed after the feature freeze, but the addition is
relatively straightforward and would constitute a major enhancement for
this release. Are there any objections to exceptionally breaking the
rule and allowing this last minute addition knowing that it is a very
localized change and has very little chance of breaking anything else
(just a new function to create fuzzy brushes and probably one new
mapfile parameter)?

Steve: would you be able to get your change in by Wednesday?

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca