list of developers

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Dec 13 10:41:10 EST 2005

Howard Butler wrote:

> While we're at it, can we get the Sponsors page up to date also?
> <http://ms.gis.umn.edu/development/sponsors>.

I realize that maintaining a list of sponsors like this is a nice to
have, but it will never be possible to list every single organization
that funded work or features, or to decide on the size of hte
contribution to qualify to be listed... and if the list is not complete
or accurate then does it make sense to have it at all?

In some cases it's obvious who funded a given feature or significant
piece of work (at least the initial funding), but in many cases the
initial development is funded by an organization and then refined by
others over time through smaller direct or indirect contributions. For
instance, OGC support is listed under DMSG, but this work was funded by
multiple sources over 5 years, some governments, some private
businesses, and some just paid for by DMSG too, then there were in kind
contributions by people like Tom and Bart testing OGC support in each
release. Listing every single organization is almost imposible, that's
almost like listing every customer that DM Solutions and every developer
had over the years.

I'm not saying that we should not give credit to funding sources, I
would love to do that, I'm just not sure how to practically do it. Has
anyone seen other projects that do this well and how they do it?

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca