Fuzzy brushes...

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Dec 15 11:27:53 EST 2005

Steve,

 I just tried the antialias on lines and It seems to work well. There
are a couple of quetions that were raised here reagrding this :
  * would paremeters like hardness be available at some point for setting ?

I did not yer try it with polygone outlines but I am assuming that It
should work too. Is that correct ?

I will continue the testing in the next days with diffrent features and
report regularly. That for the addition.

Later,

Steve Lime wrote:

>In case anyone would like to test I have hooked up the fuzzy brush generator in mapgd.c for the most trivial line drawing case (no symbol defined). To use:
>
>1) define a 24-bit output format, IMAGETYPE 'png24' works nicely
>2) define a simple style definition for a line layer (or polygon outline) like so:
>
>  STYLE
>    WIDTH 3
>    COLOR 255 0 0
>    ANTIALIAS TRUE
>  END
>
>3) set TRANSPARENCY ALPHA to enable alpha blending
>
>Caveats:
>
> - brushes need to be odd sized. That requirement is enforced in the brush builder which detects even sized requests and rounds up. Symbol scaling should work just fine.
>
> - you'll notice that the line "fades" in at the start which is due to the  transparent nature of the brush. Adjusting the default "hardness" may minimize that.
>
>That should do it. I will enable for circles layers and other instances  where it makes sense (circle symbols, simple symbols with dash patterns and so on) ASAP. I also will enable image cache use in the most simple case which may help performance a bit.
>
>Note, I hope to do away with 3) (there is a bug filed) but can't yet because of a problem in the image merging code in mapgd.c (not mine old code for a change).
>
>Steve

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca