MapServer 4.8.0-beta3 released

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Fri Dec 16 14:22:08 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

MapServer 4.8.0-beta3 has just been released, the new source can be
downloaded at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/download/beta/. I'll include
the list of changes/fixes since beta2 at the end of this message.

Normally betas should not contain new features, but exceptionally this
time, this beta brings in a very interesting new feature: support for
fuzzy brushes that allows producing antialiased thick lines, something
that's been requested often in the last year or so. You should thank
Steve for his hard work to get this done in the last few days, as well
as Autodesk since his implementation is inspired from the way they had
implemented antialiased lines in their recently released source code.

I don't think there is any special documentation for this feature since
it's just really enabling the ANTIALIAS style keyword that was not
working before, for the full details you may want to look up the "Fuzzy
bruses..." thread in the mapserver-dev archives (no public link
available for the -dev list, sorry). I will send another note to the
-users list about this feature in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, because of this and a few other factors, the release is a
little bit behind, so we have reviewed our planned release dates to the
following:

4.8.0-beta3 today
4.8.0-rc1 on Thursday Dec 22nd
4.8.0 final on Thursday January 5th

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca

Version 4.8.0-beta3 (2005-12-16)
--------------------------------

- New support for pseudo anti-aliased fat lines using brushes with variable
   transparency.

- Arbitrary rotation support for vector symbols courtesy of Map Media.

- Support for user-defined mime-types for CGI-based browse and legend
   templates (bug 1518).

- mapraster.c: Allow mapresample.c code to be called even if projections
   are not set on the map or layer object.  This is no longer a requirement.
   (Bug 1562)

- Fix problem with WMS 1.1.1 OGC test problem with get capabilites dtd
   (Bug 1576)

- PDF : adding dash line support (Bug 492)

- Fixed configure/build problem (empty include dir) when iconv.h is not
   found (bug 1419)

- PDF :  segfault on annotation layer when no style is set (Bug 1559)

- PostGIS layer test cases and fix for broken views and sub-selects (bug
1443).

- SDE: Removed (commented out) support for SDE rasters at this time.  As
far
   as I know, I'm the only one to ever get it to work, it hasn't kept up
with
   the connection pooling stuff we did, and its utility is quite limited in
   comparison to regular gdal-based raster support (projections,
   resampling, etc) (HB - bug 1560).

- SDE: Put msSDELayerGetRowIDColumn at the top of mapsde.c so things
   would compile correctly.  This function is not included (or necessary)
   in the rest of the MS RFC 3 layer virtualization at this time.

- WFS : TYPENAME is manadatory for GetFeature request (Bug 1554).

- SLD : error parsing font parameters with the keyword "normal" (Bug 1552)

- mapgraticule.c: Use MIN/MAXINTERVAL value when we define grid position
and
   interval (bug 1530)

- mapdrawgdal.c: Fix bug with nodata values not in the color table when
   rendering some raster layers (bug 1541).

- mapogcsld.c : If a RULE name is not given, set the class name to
"Unknown"
   (Bug 1451)