WMS GetCapabilities Attribution element

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Tue Feb 1 08:41:10 EST 2005

Hi,

The WMS spec (1.1.0 AND 1.1.1, basically anything 1.0.7 and greater)
allows for, within the Layer element, the following element to be
defined:

<Attribution>
 <Title>State College University</Title>
 <OnlineResource xlink:type="simple"
xlink:href="http://www.university.edu/"/>
 <LogoURL width="100" height="100">
  <Format>image/gif</Format>
  <OnlineResource xlink:type="simple"
xlink:href="http://www.university.edu/icons/logo.gif"/>
 </LogoURL>
</Attribution>

(for more information, see
http://www.opengeospatial.org/docs/01-068r3.pdf, section 7.1.4.5.11)

Currently, MapServer supports the all of the above mappings at the
MAP/WEB/METADATA level:

<Attribution>
 <Title>[ows_contactorganization]</Title>
 <OnlineResource xlink:type="simple"
xlink:href="[ows_service_onlineresource]"/>
 <LogoURL width="[wms_logourl_width]" height="[wms_logourl_height]">
  <Format>[wms_logourl_format]</Format>
  <OnlineResource xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="[wms_logourl_href]"/>
 </LogoURL>
</Attribution>

(note: wms_logourl_* is part of the WMC spec, but we could use it since
it's already defined).

Since the metadata is already defined, we could put this in mapwms.c for
1.0.7+ requests, inserting the Attribution element as per above in the
root layer element of the Capabilities XML response.  The element would
go between the Extent and MetadataURL elements (there's other in
between, but Extent and MetadataURL are what MapServer support).

Why?  More metadata in WMS Capabilities.  And a LogoURL image is really
nice in the context of portals and services discovery.

Comments? -- I can put this in Bugzilla if there is interest and intent
on adding this.

Thanks

..Tom