Why do some unused functions exist in the code?

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 26 09:47:05 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:26:27 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> When going through the source, and flagging all functions not used in
> other files as 'static', and moving prototypes for all functions used
> in other files into an appropriate header file, there is a class of
> functions left.  The ones decleared in a file and never used.  Why are
> these functions in the source?
>
> The following functions are only mentioned once and never used:
>
>   bufferPolyline checkWebExtent loadStyleString msCopyItem
>   msCopyLabelCache msCopyLine msCopyResultCache msLayerWhichItemsNew
>   msPolygonDirection msPrintShape msWebDebug
>
> Are they part of some public API or otherwise used?

Petter,

I believe that essentially none of these are used.  Some of them were once
used, and aren't now and some were written with the expectation they would
be needed.   A few might be used in special circumstances.

I thought I had removed msWebDebug() before the 4.4 release,
but I see I didn't.  I'll take care of that one.

In general, I think removing this cruft isn't worth the risk of breaking
something.