OGR WRAP character

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Fri Jul 8 11:09:15 EDT 2005

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> My first thought is that the MITAB driver should not be turning char-10
> into escaped \n format.  The \n character is legal (though possibly
> occationally a nuicance) in attribute values and I don't think most other
> drivers fool with special characters like this.

So should I take this as a clear statement that it is okay (and actually
the recommended way) for an OGR driver to return strings with
non-printable characters in them? I guess that was my main question
before making a decision on what to do about the specific problem
between MITAB and MapServer.

> Since Daniel "owns" MITAB you guys are welcome go ahead to a
> change to the behavior if you are comfortable with it, though it might
> be nice to raise the issue on the mitab mailing list.

Still not sure what to propose for MITAB: MIF files contain '\' + 'n',
so that's what users of the lib are likely to expect. If MIF files
return one thing and TAB files return a different thing then that means
applications using MITAB need to handle both cases in a different way
which is ugly. Changing the behavior to return ASCII-10 even in the MIF
case may be the way to go, I'll have to dig and try to figure out why I
bothered implementing this escaping in the first place.  yuck!

Thanks for your input.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca