Sally's Summit Summary

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Mon Jun 20 16:11:00 EDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I would be more tempted to put it in automatically, on the theory that
> when doing map files
> (1) get it working
> (2) make it fast
>
> This is where some logging of layer data access times and render times
> would help people optimize. But right out of the gate newbies could get
> online a little easier. proj4 can be a bit of a hurdle for people.

As a newbie who deals with odd shapefile projections, I can tell you that
my number one biggest hurdle was taking arbitrary .PRJ files and getting
the right PROJ4 lines for them.  It's simply silly that there's no easy
way to add a shapefile that actually has a .prj file without adding the
projection.

Just my $.02.
Bill