MapServer Technical Steering Committee Proposal

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Jun 27 16:37:11 EDT 2005

Frank,

I think this is fantastic.  I made a couple of tweaks to the document to
make it reStructured text and included it in the new website at
<http://ms.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-1>.  Per discussions on IRC
:), a few notes and suggestions have been added to the CVS version of the
document (and the same one that is mirrored on the website).

So, now that we've got a document, how do we move forward?  I propose that
we limit the discussion of the technical steering committee to only
"technical" things as defined in RFC 1.  We should table further
discussions about the "project governance" issues until we see how this
process and proposal works for us.  MapServer has made it a long way
without being incumbered by a lot of process, and I think we want to keep
it that way if we can.  We can then take the experience we gain from the
TSC and approach the project governance stuff if and when we need to.

In addition to the list of committee members, I propose that we also add a
"highly technical" user be included as an advocate on behalf of
users.  This person would be a full committee member, with all rights,
privileges, and duties :).  This person should be able to express things in
technical terms and follow the discussions, but they need not be actively
developing MapServer software.  A person like this can provide perspective
that might otherwise be hard to obtain.  Maybe we let the chair nominate
this position?  Is this a good idea?

I really like that this proposal is clear about "not sweating the small
stuff" and is really about building consensus for technical issues that are
challenging to the project.  I think it fits the temperament of the project
very well.  Thanks for proposing it.

Howard