The EPSG Contract

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 19 15:27:25 EDT 2005

On 5/19/05, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:
> Is it so bad to suck it up and follow the standards consensus, no matter
> how silly? Sometimes bad decisions are made, but walking away from the
> process destroys all the good decisions too.

Paul,

I do see your point, and I have certainly accepted that when MapServer
implements WMS 1.3 it will have to address this issue properly.  However,
the WFS stuff has existed for quite a while (as has GML) but this issue
is only being raised now in the WFS/GML context.  So we are left
having to back-fix without any obvious indicate of what is really the right
thing to do.

I *suspect* that at least for GML 2 the coordinate system does not
control order of values in coordinate tuples.  I'm sure I have heard
previous detailed discussios to this effect.  I am not at all sure of
the situation with GML3.

Hopefully we can isolate these issues to GML3 and WMS 1.3+ so that
a simple version check will suffice to make the decision clear.