MapServer 4.6.0-beta3 released

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue May 31 17:27:54 EDT 2005

Sending this reply to mapserver-dev instead of -users...

Ken Lord wrote:

> If TRANSPARENT is within the outputformat, mapserver fails and returns
> the following error message:
>
> "GD/JPEG OUTPUTFORMAT jpeg has TRANSPARENT set ON, but this is not
> supported. It has been disabled."

Ah! That makes more sense now. Due to the nature of the format, JPEG
does not and cannot support transparency. This is not new to MapServer
4.6, only the more explicit error message may be new.

> If this was the intended effect, then just the 4.6 documentation needs
> to be updated for the syntax change.

Since this is just an error message to prevent users from requesting an
impossible combination, I don't think there is much to document. I mean
I'm not convinced that it would make sense to document all the
impossible combinations of mapfile parameters.

> I brought this up because the
> change was not listed in the revision history in history.txt, and the
> mapserver log and our flash interface don't show this error message,
> leaving me to try it out in an HTML template when our flash site failed.

Unfortunately the HISTORY.TXT is only as accurate as what the developers
make of it. It is possible that some items are missing if some
developers fail to update it, and there is not much I can do about this.

However I did find a note from Frank in the 4.4.0 HISTORY.TXT about this
new validation:

- Force GD/JPEG outputFormatObjects to IMAGEMODE RGB and TRANSPARENT OFF
   if they are RGBA or ON.  Makes user error such as in bug 1703 less
likely.

Are you sure that this was working in 4.6beta2?

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca