Mismatched layer and shapeObj types

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Nov 3 12:14:40 EST 2005

Folks,

In my reprojection code I treat polygons and lines distinctly.
Lines are "broken" at the horizon while polygons preserve
an edge along the horizon.

In cases where a layer is rendered with type LINE but from
a polygon file, I would like the polygon edges to use the line
behavior.  But the projection code inspects the shapeObj->type
field to determine which approach to use.

What would the implications be of having the feature reading
code convert shapeObj's of type polygon to type line if they
are being used for a line layer?   My thinking is that this would
ensure more consistent "line processing" would be applied in
my projections code as well as other parts of the system.

But I'm not sure what surprising or negative ramifications this
might have.  I am also not exactly sure where in the code such
a change would be best made, if we were to consider it.