4.6.2 release?

Wed Nov 30 18:09:54 EST 2005

An addition like that would be really great. The big problem would be how to handle
GD? It would be nice to set up a function pointer myGDImageLine and point it at
a local function until the GD guys include this. However, I don't know that we can
include the ADSK code as part of MapServer due to licensing issues. The other alternative
would be to distribute a bastardized version of GD for awhile until the merge happens.
In that case I'd love to see outline optimization work Julien did included too.

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:
> There are a lot of things going on that could affect the 4.8 release, including folks
> spending time on other topics. I could see it being delayed just a bit and would hate
> to see the website delayed too. Just a thought...

Talking of things that could possibly delay the release a bit, should we
start talking about the possibility of backporting ADSK's antialiasing
patch to GD into MapServer (for those reading this for the first time,
that would give us thick antialiased lines).

Assefa told me that he built the patched GD and it works with MapServer,
but he has not found yet how to enable the thick lines antialiasing.

Once we know more, we may have to make a proposal to the TSC about
possibly breaking our own release rules to include this in 4.8, possibly
extending the release date a bit, but the changes would hopefully be
very minor and not have much impact. We should get on that soon.

What do you all think?

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca