4.6.2 release?

Wed Nov 30 18:51:49 EST 2005

MapServer doesn't just use brushes. There are a couple of ways to draw thick lines in MapServer and some are more ammenable to antialiasing than others:

  - brushes, not anti-aliasable, although I wonder because brushes in a tool like photoshop produce beautiful lines
  - offset single pixel lines (these use special style definitions in the symbol definitions and are the way MapServer 2.x draw fancier lines), can antialias but they don't scale
  - use 'width' parameter in a class style, this uses GD's built-in wide lines
  - cartolines are polygons and can be antialiased

The big problem with cartolines/polygons is keeping the width consistent at all angles and getting decent joints.

I'm sure as well that he'd ok it, but it's a fundamental question that impacts a lot of other development so might as well answer in a general sense.

Steve

>>> Paul Spencer <pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA> 11/30/05 5:17 PM >>>
Guys,

I'm really worried that the way MSE uses this is fundamentally
different from MapServer's approach of using brushes and that this
would require more significant changes that just dropping in the new
GD and tweaking a few things.  Specifically, I'm pretty sure they
draw thick lines as polygons.  It might be worth contacting Bob Bray
at Autodesk to find out specific details (unless you want to try to
understand the code ;))

I'm pretty sure if you approached Gary about the license issue, they
would sort it out pretty quickly if only to bolster their case with
the community with some direct benefit to MapServer.

Cheers

Paul