floating point tips ?

Attila Csipa plists at PROMETHEUS.ORG.YU
Fri Oct 7 09:28:31 EDT 2005

I'm playing with an IXP ARM big endian machine and wanted to see just for
kicks if it can compile/run MapServer - to my surprise the compile was pretty
easy and it didn't take much to get it fully operational. These machines as
many handhelds don't have a hardware floating poing unit and this cripples
their MapServer performance. Unfortunately I don't have a full setup on that
machine so for the moment native profiling is out of my reach. I'd like to
ask for some tips form people who are more familiar with the actual
calculating parts, to see which parts of MapServer need to be checked out and
perhaps optimized for integer performance for XScale and other soft-float
applications. (just for comparison, mpg123 vs libmad has a performance
advantage of at least a magnitude for doing the same thing with integers
instead of soft-float)