Revision history in source files...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Oct 11 13:46:55 EDT 2005

On 10/11/05, Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> wrote:
> Amen. IIRC, Frank was insuring himself against the CVS server going
> offline, but it's been reliable lately and we have another record of
> commits on http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/mapserver.

Sean,

My intent wasn't really insuring against the CVS server being
down (though that is an ancillary benefit).  My intent was mainly
to make recent history very visible and easy to check on.  I
find it much more likely (in general) that I will check revision info
in file headers than that I will go check it in CVS (or on some
web service providing CVS access).   I think this is especially
true for folks who don't use CVS and just get tarballs of released
source.

Of course, lots of folks thing revision logs in files is unnecessary
and annoying and if the TSC feel strongly in that direction I would
be willing to follow it's guidance on the issue (at least wrt mapserver).