UMN-Mapserver Oracle Spatial 10g - Performance

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Oct 26 10:56:58 EDT 2005

On 10/26/05, Gregor Fikoczek <gfikoczek at kartago.de> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I got a Oracle Spatial 10g Database connected to the UMN-Mapserver
> (Mapbender),
> but the presentation/performance of the oracle-data is very poor : 10
> sec. or more.
> [The table got 418 rows]
>
> What can I do to speed up the performance ?

Gregor,

Do you have any idea what the connection time is for this database?
418 rows is tiny, so unless the data is incredible complex it is hard
to imagine it taking much time beyond the initial connection which can
be ... substantial ... for Oracle.

Do you have more than one layer coming from Oracle?  If so, then
at the very least you will want to add the following line to each layer
to allow using the same connection for all layers:

  PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"

If one connection is still too slow, then you could consider FastCGI
support which preserves the connection between cgi requsts but it is
a bit complex to setup.

PS. I'm not sure this question belonged on the mapserver-dev
list instead of mapserver-users.