map generalization

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Apr 11 08:29:36 EDT 2006

Hi There,

  There are no module of generalization inside mapserver beside the
filtering done on duplicate points at render time.
  What you shoud probably do is do the generalization of your data
outside mapserver and only use mapsever to display diffrent data set at
diffrent scales.
  I am not aware (I haven't really searched for it), of any open source
tool that has all the generalisation tools. There are certainly
softwares like FME that do have generalisation  module.

soares wrote:
> we have a small project in college, a web-mapping project.
> Now we are trying to implement on-the-fly generalization in our maps when
> scale change, but we find not much documentation about it. So my question is
> if anyone knows something about it, do i need to writte the algorithms, or
> does mapserver have any modules to do this?
> Sent from the Mapserver - Dev forum at Nabble.com.

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca
http://www.dmsolutions.ca/