5.0 Release Plan

Tue Aug 1 02:05:40 EDT 2006

Hi all: I'm wondering if it might make sense to start talking about a
5.0 release plan? It would be nice to at least have a good idea of what
will be included before the conference in Sept so that we can discuss
with users etc... There are several RFCs out there with an unknown
status (e.g. dynamic array allocation, C unit tests) and a few other
things (e.g. internationalization) that are still hanging.

Personally I have 3 big todo's:

1) RFC 19 (attribute binding)
2) style-level transparency/removing TRANSPARENCY ALPHA (if possible)
3) WFS application schema support

Along with other cleanup...

Those along with the WXS services support, curved labels, full-GEOS
support, mapfile includes, credential encryption and other stuff should
be more than enough to warrant a 5.0 release. I'd love to get a second
renderer in place but I fear there isn't time.

Thoughts?

Steve

Also, what do folks think about periodic IRC developer meetings?
MapBuilder does this, seems to work pretty well in keeping out in front
of things.

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR