Bug 1803, Upcoming breaking changes for 4.10.0-beta1

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 17 09:25:38 EDT 2006

On 8/17/06, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> >
> >> I think you can safely hide the labelPathObj, that should not be
> >> exposed. I think the others
> >> should be immutable too (assuming I understand the problem correctly),
> >> the question is how
> >> many scripts will the change break and should backward compatability
> >> breakage be limited
> >> to major releases (e.g. 5.0).
> >>

> > Those scripts are *erroneous* !  It would be desirable to force the
> > users to put them into a good shape as soon as possible.
> >

> It seems that I should take position as release manager but
> unfortunately I do not know or use SWIG MapScript much so I have to rely
> on those who know to make an opinion on whether the current stuff is
> dangerous enough to warrant breaking a few scripts with 4.10.
>
> Based on the understanding I have of the problem from reading this
> thread and previous discussions, it seems to me that if those scripts
> are doing something that is just waiting to bomb then changing SWIG
> MapScript in v4.10 to make those object references immutable is not a
> backwards compatibility issue, it is a bugfix and a service we are
> making to those users by forcing them to fix their scripts... and in the
> end their apps will just be more robust.

Daniel,
IMO  we are talking about fixing pieces of code we are not even sure
they are broken. For instance I have some Java mapscript tests (and an
application) running just fine that add layers and classes at run time
and that's why I am so reluctant in approving this proposal. Only once
we get a test case that reproduces this errors reliably then we can go
and change the code.

Unfortunately I couldn't join the IRC meeting because I am on vacation
otherwise I'd have spoken  earlier (I am writing this on the road).

Regards,
Umberto