Why not always DEBUG=MSDEBUG?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Dec 12 04:09:01 EST 2006

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I'm +1 for being able to turn on/off debug output without having a debug
> compiled version. The only stuff that is currently output is timing by
> default and that is all I regularly use and that I think other users
> would use that are not developing.

Stephen,

Well, there is quite a bit of extra stuff reported for raster layers if
you have layer debug on.

> So one option might be to add mapfile tags like TIMING ON|OFF that can
> be decoupled from the DEBUG ON/OFF and this would be accessible all the
> time. I think this decouples some of Daniel's concerns and we could make
> it do the "right" thing whatever that is on all environments.

I wouldn't mind distinguishing timing requests from more general debug output.

Daniel indicate he might have a chance to work on this family of issues in
the next couple months, so I'm going to leave the ball in his court for the
time being.

Bes tregards,