RFC 11: Curved Labels

Benj Carson benjcarson+mapserver at DIGITALJUNKIES.CA
Thu Feb 16 13:31:46 EST 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 09:40, Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
> Steve,
>
>   That is great.  The only question I have was :
>
>    * what happens with the position parameter in the label ? would the
> values ul, uc, ... would be respected giving control on where the label
> is postionned.

Currently the position parameter is ignored for curved labels.  Support for
it could be added fairly easily (simply by offsetting each character from
the feature when computing the label's path).  There is one caveat to this
though: POSITION AUTO would require re-computing the entire path at each
alternative position, which could be computationally expensive.  Perhaps a
solution would be to disallow POSITION AUTO for curved labels, with the
default being MS_CC?

Benj