KML anyone

cholmes (sent by Nabble.com) lists at NABBLE.COM
Sat Feb 18 14:07:17 EST 2006

We've actually made some good progress in KML support in GeoServer, but one
thing that we found is that KML output is actually better geared for WMS
instead of WFS.  Why?  Because KML is really a display format.  If you just
use WFS, then your kml will look quite boring, since it's just the data.
Instead it should follow the same rendering rules as the WMS style, using
either the mapserver rendering language or SLD (as GeoServer does).  With
this you can request a style, and have it appear the same as a jpeg or as
KML in your google earth.

We do lack the z-coordinate stuff though, we basically just put in a dummy 0
coordinate for the required z, but it ends up looking fine, you just can't
do the crazy 3d stuff.

Chris