Databases and MapServer

Hallgren Johan E jhhal at WMDATA.COM
Sat Feb 25 18:39:49 EST 2006

Hello friends.

I have been struggling with mapserver and ArcSDE, OracleSpatial and
combinations of those. As you maybe have seen from my latest questions,
I'm using MapScript in csharp. It has been some work to solve my
problems but now I think I have reached I level of satisfaction. But, I
have one BIG question.

When a query attributes with QueryByAttribute there is one situation
when the performance is bad, and that's when I don't set the extent for
the mapObj. In that case, the whole global extent will be used and in
combination with a attribute query the performance is week.

In this case, I don't care of the extent I should appreciate if the
extent only is used when I want it to be used. I have looked at
msSDELayerWhichShapes (there is a similar for OracleSpatial) and the
rect argument will always have a value. Wouldn't be nice if the rect
could be null (and not used) if I haven't told it to be used. Either
that, or another function with no rect argument, which only queries
attributes.

Maybe you think, why not communicate directly with the database. The
answer to that is that I want one interface from my side, and that I
want the help MapServer could give to retrieve spatial information in a
query.

I hope you understand what I'm looking for.

Best Regards

Johan

Johan Hallgren
WM-data

Pelle Bergs backe 3
Box 1938, 791 19 Falun
Tel: 023-844 65 (int: +46-2384465)
Mobil: 070-588 44 28 (int: +46-705884428)
johan.e.hallgren at wmdata.com
<BLOCKED::mailto:johan.e.hallgren at wmdata.com>
http://www.wmdata.se <BLOCKED::http://www.wmdata.se>