Voting on RFC 9.

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Tue Jan 31 11:21:30 EST 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>> I think your/our time is better spent making mapscript  better and
>> using mapscript with existing Perl/Python/PHP templating
>> packages, but you know that already. For C, there is Clearsilver
>>
>>   http://www.clearsilver.net/
>>
>> Maybe a switch to something like clearsilver would be a good 5.0
>> feature.
>
> As usual, a very interesting suggestion worth considering. BTW,
> sometimes I'm wondering why you are still using MapServer since you
> don't seem to be happy with any of the stuff that's existing or being
> added to it. Don't take that the wrong way, I don't mean to attack you
> at all, I am really trying to understand where you're coming from.

Let's stay on topic, OK?

> With respect to MapServer templates, I think the simple map-gui-
> oriented
> template mechanism that the CGI offers is a feature of MapServer.
> That's
> one of the things that makes it easy for new users to get running
> quickly. Clearsilver appears to offer more, but then if someone needs
> more they can go straight to PHP MapScript which already offers the
> same
> as Clearsilver and much more. Well, I guess one key difference is that
> the CGI already offers all the magic to handle zooming, panning,
> managing queries, etc which you need to reimplement yourself if you
> use
> MapScript... I guess that's one argument in favor of using Clearsilver
> in the CGI (or for embedding the PHP interpreter in the CGI to use as
> templating system).
>
> My 0.02$
>
> Daniel

Clearsilver contains pretty much all of the formatting features
anybody is going to ask for, plus macros and functions: http://
www.clearsilver.net/docs/man_templates.hdf. I'm simply pointing out
that it is potentially an answer to all the recent template feature
requests, including those for improvements to the legend templates.

cheers,
Sean

---
Sean Gillies