Pre-RFC, pulling rendering/labeling parameters from attributes...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Jun 6 21:24:19 EDT 2006

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Ok, glad I read this one before posting the exact same thing! only I
> would have done my example like:
>
>  SIZE [sizeattribute]
>  ANGLE ([angleattribute] - 90.0)
>  LABEL
>   TEXT ("Label: " . [labelattribute] . ".")
>  END
>
> This would require a lot of changes, but could be fully backwards
> compatible.

SteveW,

I assume part of the benefit here is that we can use the same substitution
engine used for expressions?  (and I guess actually evaluating in the
expressions in the ANGLE case above).

I certainly like this degree of generality, though internally I would like
to see a fixed value and possibly a simple variable substitution handled
via some sort of short cut to reduce the amount of expression processing for
each feature.  I would hate to have ANGLE 0 result in a full expression parse
and evaluation for each feature.