RFC 19: style and label attribute binding...

Thu Jun 8 15:34:26 EDT 2006

Labelitem and classitem would remain "as is". They are widely used and don't have a
relationship like SIZEITEM and SIZE.

This modification would be independent of URL parameters as those are CGI specific. Whether
we do this has no bearing on expanding runtime substitution. Different issue in my mind (with a
different solution).

Only symbols present an interesting challenge since they already can take a symbol name. However,
the code will be smart enough to check for a symbol name first and if not found then assume a binding.
It is likely then that an error would be thrown if the error really was a symbol not found error. I don't know
that we need syntax to define a binding explicitly. In the docs it would be:

  SIZE integer|column name
  SYMBOL integer|symbol name|column name

Steve

>>> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> 6/8/2006 12:43:15 PM >>>
Steve,

So how does this work for labelitem? Do we use the TEXT 'myLabelItem'
syntax? and how is that different from TEXT 'myLabelText'? In general, I
would think we would want a clear syntactic identifier that indicates I
am passing a binding vs a literal string vs a constant vs a URL parameter.

Have you given any thought into using this to also bind to URL
parameters? Does this break any of the existing URL parameter substitutions?

-Steve W.