dynamic symbols, eg bar graphs or pie charts

Fri Jun 9 09:57:53 EDT 2006

thomas bonfort wrote:
> hi all,
> I'd be interrested in having/adding  pie charts or bar graphs to
> mapserver, in order to output thematic maps...
> I've experimented with Tim Schaub's hack for pie charts which is very
> nice but a bit too cumbersome for large datasets, and was wondering if
> this could be natively done by mapserver...
> Could this fit in the symbology methods of MS, by defining a new type of
> "dynamic symbol" which would resemble a pixmap symbol except that the
> pixmap is generated from the input data?
> I'd be willing to give a shot at this if you folks think this is worthwile.
> cheers,
> tb

Not sure what Tim Schaub's hack is, but anyway, this question has come
up a few times in the past. See what I had suggested a few years ago:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0307/msg00754.html

This never got implemented, but I still think that would be an easy way
to get charts (or some kind of dynamic symbol) support in MapServer
without fully integrating a charting engine.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/